Wednesday 26 July 2017

"Ian"

For quite a long while now I have been absent from blogland partly due to the loss of my mojo and partly due to a lack of time, however, I've recently had two events that have spurred me on to doing some art again. Firstly, after a long absence from my blog, I was staggered to receive an enquiring post from one of my followers, Hilda Muxo Klinger. To say I was very touched is an understatement. Thank you Hilda. The second event was a commission.

In October 2015, my sister and her husband, Ian, were out together when he suddenly collapsed. An ambulance was called but despite the determined efforts of the paramedics my brother-in-law never regained consciousness. He had shown no signs of illness and was a very active 63-year old. His loss came as a massive shock to us all and my sister was devastated, the suddenness robbing her of any opportunity to say 'goodbye'.

A couple of weeks ago, my sister asked me if I felt like tackling a portrait of Ian. At times like this our 'mojo' is irrelevant and I said I'd be happy to do a pencil portrait for her. Suitable reference photo's were hard to find and none showed his eyes as anything other than black blobs, which showed no life. However, a little artistic licence allowed me to create some 'sparkle' and detail where the photo's had none. I have been quite anxious about doing such an important portrait but today I handed the framed portrait to my sister and I was delighted with her response..... she was thrilled.


And now, with the portrait finished, I find myself wondering "What's next?". That's a good sign, right? But first of all I'm off to have a look at some of Hilda's wonderful pastels.  ;-)

10 comments:

  1. I came over from Hilda's blog after reading your great comment.
    She is wonderful isn't she. Over the years Hilda has encouraged and always visited me.
    My reward for coming is seeing such a sensitive and professionally done portrait. The story behind it is quite heartbreaking. I guess the loss without being able to say goodby is what I fear also.
    I will be back so I hope you continue to paint, draw and tell your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, how lovely of you to visit. Yes, Hilda is an inspiration. Thank you or your lovely comment which means a great deal. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh John... this portrait of Ian is absolutely outstanding and your post was very emotional to me. I as well lost my brother in law a few years back when he and his wife went to Shea Stadium to see the Mets play. Before he sat down he collapsed and never woke up. He was about 56 at the time. Believe it or not, I don't have a good photo of him that I can ever do a portrait. Time to ask the family. When things like this happens we realize how precious life is. I am so touched with your words and I thank you. I can't wait to see another portrait from you! You're amazing, my friend!!! Welcome back...you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. These things are always dreadful but the suddenness just adds to the pain. It's a shame you haven't got a good photo. I hope you find one within the family because, with your skills, you will do an amazing portrait.
      Thank you for your kind words .... and the kick in the butt. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good to see you again in blogland, John! What an amazing portrait, his eyes are fabulous. Amazing how you draw this without a good reference. I am so sorry for the sad occasion for this drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely comment Judy.

      Delete
  4. Good job! My sympathies to you and your sister regarding Ian. I'm sure she'll treasure your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh John... This is such a tragic story! I am so, so sorry for your Sister... I just can't imagine the greif she must feel. And the fact that you have done this exquisite drawing of him is just such a beautiful thing... I'm sorry that you have had such awful reasons for not blogging for a while. I am glad that you are back though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very tragic Sandra. Thank you for the very kind words about my drawing, they are much appreciated.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you