Tuesday 22 November 2016

Pen with Ink washes

LOL. I started this post with the words "It's been a long time since I last posted....." but then noticed my previous post which started the exact same way. Thing is, while non-arty matters initially got in the way of my art, over time I totally lost my mo-jo. Even when I did find myself with time for art, I was totally devoid of the slightest inclination. Those of you who've experienced it will know just how it feels. 

For some odd reason, a few weeks ago I started thinking about how ink might be diluted in water to create an ink wash. After a while I decided I just had to have a go to see what the effect would be. I haven't done any research or looked things up online, I thought I'd just jump in and discover things for myself. Having found a suitable subject I spent time doing a pen drawing which would provide the framework and detail to which the ink washes could then be added. 

The pen work was fairly routine for me as it's my favourite medium anyway but I found the excitement mounting as I neared the final stage of adding the washes. I obviously didn't make too many pen marks where I knew the washes would be. Estimating the ratio of ink to water involved a lot of guess work but that was half the fun. Where I got a real buzz was when I dropped neat ink into still wet paler washes. Watching the ink bleed and teasing it into the right places with my brush was amazing and I absolutely love the purple tints that magically appeared in some places. I imagine that different inks will cause different colour separation so I'm keen to try various inks. If any of you have experience with inks in this way I'd love to hear from you.


7 comments:

  1. It's amazing how the purple tint adds to this already beautiful painting...... I really love this...wonderful details...love the little table with the chairs! Wonderful work John!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hilda. It was quite exciting watching those tints come out of nowhere and I'm certainly keen to try some more of these. ;-)

      Delete
  2. For someone jumping in with this John, you certainly made a splash....Love this work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... you're very kind Ann, thank you very much. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Having set the bar impossibly high ... you cleared it by a mile. Really excellent work, John.

    Now you've got your mojo back (welcome back btw) there should be no stopping you. Success breeds success, and this is very successful. Find a giclee printer, get copies printed, sell them with a low profit margin and you'll be away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thought John. I doubt this particular subject is saleable but a future effort may be. Thank you very much for your wonderfully encouraging comment ... it's something I shall look into. All the best.

      Delete
  4. All the best!
    Merry Christmas and a great 2017!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you