Wednesday 22 June 2016

Pastel Pencils

"Sally" - Pastel Pencils - 8" x 6"

It's been a long time since I last participated in blogland as 'life' gets in the way sometimes, as we all know. Though I'm not properly back into my art yet I did have an opportunity a few days ago to draw or paint for a short while. Last Christmas my daughter bought me a small set of Pastel Pencils because I'd expressed an interest in them and I thought it about time that I got them out and had a play. I don't know what sort of thin card I used so don't know how typical it is or how it compares to 'proper' pastel card but this oddment was lying around so it seemed sensible to use it for my first trial. I have to say I found the experience quite enlightening. I  found the mixing of colours on the 'canvas' and the blending process so much easier than with coloured pencils. On the negative side I did find sharpening the pencils difficult as some of them kept breaking and obviously they don't keep their point for long. All in all I really enjoyed my short venture into Pastel Pencils and hope to do a lot more with the, in the future.

12 comments:

  1. Sally is beautifully finished John!!!! Love her eyes...I've been sketching with my pastel pencils and I really like it....I bought a small set of prismicolor pencils and hate them because they are SO difficult to erase...the pastel pencils are wonderful!!! (Carbothello). I look forward to seeing your next piece! Glad you're back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hilda. I know what you mean about coloured pencils being hard to erase Hilda and I found the pastel pencils much easier to work with.

      Delete
  2. Sally is beautiful, John! You found your medium, I think. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! as a jack owner and lover, that is one of the best painted jacks I've seen. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're so kind Pat, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sandra, and congratulations on your recent SAA success. ;-)

      Delete
  5. First time using pastel pencils and already producing masterpieces, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you Frank. Your comment is very confidence boosting. Thank you very much indeed.

      Delete
  6. It's been awhile since your last post .....just know I'm thinking of you and hoping things are well! 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, I'm very touched by your lovely comment, thank you. Things have been difficult of late but I'm hoping that's all going to change soon. Fingers crossed, eh? ;-)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you