Friday 12 February 2016

If at first ...

As we all know, not every drawing or painting comes out  to our entire satisfaction. Some artists will paint over work they are displeased with, or scrap it and do it again. That is something I have never done .... until now.

You may remember that just before Christmas I produced a pencil portrait of my father. Though I was fairly pleased with it, there were a few things about the drawing that have always bothered me. Nothing that stops me thinking it's a good portrait and a good likeness, but just little things that maybe only I would notice. These things have been niggling at me and causing me to think I could, and should, have done better. So here is my second attempt .... "Dad 2".

16 comments:

  1. This portrait is absolutely outstanding John!! It looks like a photo... Sometimes I have to walk away from a portrait because "something" was off....so I can understand why you had to do another painting....you see things that only you know is not right! Again, I LOVE this portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that we see things no one else would notice Hilda. I'm the worlds worst at that. Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  2. This looks perfekt! Like a photo. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, a terrific job on this portrait of your father. What I love about it, he looks as though he was a very kind man. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was indeed a very kind man Joan, and thank you very much for saying that has come through in the drawing.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't know if the likeness here is better, but the portrait is amazing , absolutely fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely portrait of your father.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you