Friday 20 November 2015

"Bear"

No, not a big brown grizzly from the deep, dark, dangerous recesses of Whipsnade Zoo but my sisters Long-Haired Collie dog called "Bear".

Though I've tried using coloured pencils before I really haven't managed very well with them. My main problem has been blending and I suspect that is because I expected colours to mix as they do with watercolours, and the pencil strokes to smooth out as they do with graphite. Of course, neither is true. A short while ago I decided to have another go with coloured pencils and chose an old photo of "Bear" as my subject. This time I feel the penny dropped with regards to the blending and mixing and I achieved a result I'm not displeased with.

The picture is now framed and has been handed over to my sister who seems to be delighted with it. A good result all round. ;-)

12 comments:

  1. I can see why your sister is pleased with this portrait, John! I love how you captured the softness of the fur!!!! Excellent work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hilda, though I suspect the softness is more down to the media than any skill on my part. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi John :) second time trying to write this comment. Not that easy on a smartphone!
    Colored pencils seems perfect for a Collie with that long fur.
    I have a book about pencil and crayondrawing. Blending is about leaving empty space between the lines so that you have room for other colours. Optic blending I think they call it. Maybe I could take a couple of photos from my book to show.
    Everything is fine in my familly :) hope things are great with you too. Take care and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean about the blending Catarina and I've sort of found out by accident that it's not a good idea to lay down too much colour too soon. I'm glad to hear everything is good with you. Take care. ;-)

      Delete
  3. It woks well, John. I never ever feel able to draw with coloured pencils or crayons it's beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, though I seriously doubt that anything is beyond you. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Excellent Painting John. Full marks here mate. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful .... she/he looks so gentle wonderful softness .

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you