Wednesday 7 January 2015

Flamborough Lifeboat 1971


In my last post I mentioned that I was excited about a new drawing I was working on, well this is it.
A few weeks ago, I stumbled across a black and white photograph of the Flamborough Lifeboat leaving Bridlington Harbour in 1971. I had recently picked up my pencils and was working on a drawing of a pair of dogs and was enjoying being back at my drawing board. Something about this picture sparked an enthusiasm in me that I don't think I've experienced before and I just knew I had to draw it. I sent an email to the photographer, Paul Berriff and sought his permissions for me to use his photograph, which he gladly gave.

I used artistic licence to remove a harbour wall that occupied the left quarter of the original photo as I wanted to emphasise the isolation and peril that these brave men find themselves in whenever they go out in stormy weather. Somehow the harbour wall gave the impression they were still in a safe haven. As a result of this decision the waves on the left are somewhat invented, but I think they add to the overall mood of the scene and increase the drama.

I can't remember a time when I've been so excited about doing a drawing and to say I was buzzing is an understatement. I think I may do another of these in the not too distant future .... I just have so many other things I'm anxious to try.

For anyone interested I have put a Work In Progress page on my main website showing the various stages.


25 comments:

  1. Fabulous work John. Everything is so well drawn, and the composition achieves the feeling of danger that you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Keith, I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing and I can understand your excitement drawing it......It's very powerful and I love all the details in the boat... eliminating the harbor wall added to the drama!!! (the waves scare me so it's definitely successful..lol)
    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I didn't mean to scare you Hilda. Thank you very much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! It's good to see you back on top form ... this would make an ideal card for the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution for our non-British friends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. I'd had the same thought about the RNLI but I'm not sure where I stand on Copyrights. Maybe something I should look into.

      Delete
  4. Well this really is fantastic! Such energy in this drawing! And Artistic license is always very handy too isn't it? That water looks real enough that I'm feeling slightly sea sick! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, as an untrained drawist I rely very much on copying and seldom, if ever, use artistic licence to modify the scene. It has been so successful on this occasion that it is something I shall do a lot more of. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant Drawing John. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vic. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  6. John, it is so good to hear your enthusiasm again... I don't think you could have done any better with this piece... and it shows your excitement for it... I hope this is the start for many more to come...
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ, I can't remember a drawing or painting that's had me 'buzzing' more than this one and I'm keen to do many more. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  7. Your drawing skills area amazing John. Wonderful picture full of anticipation and I especially like the way you captured the men on the boat. They look ready for the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The passion for your subject comes through...keep on with the subjects that fuel the flame. Your spirit is commendable! Your skill level is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It a lovely drawing and good to hear you being so enthusiastic. Most of us don't draw enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking fab John. Great to hear your enjoyment in your post too. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous John. I am pleased Paul Berriff gave you permission to use his photo as your enthusiasm has come across in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's strange how I just knew I had to draw this one and it was very good of Paul to grant permission.

      Delete
  12. An amazing job John , you were clearly VERY inspired , just wow !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you